Job Title: Campaigns and Communications Officer
Location: Office-based; open to flexible working arrangements from anywhere in England, with a preference for Manchester, London, Birmingham or Leeds, with some travel including to partner meetings.
Hours: 37.5 hours/ week (Monday to Friday 9:00am – 5:00pm)
Salary: £20,000 per annum (subject to annual cost of living review)
Leave: 23 days annual leave including Bank Holidays rising after 24 months by 1 day after each year of service to maximum of 28 days per year.
Contract: 1 year fixed term contract with possibility of extension depending on funding availability.
Reporting to: Chief Executive Officer
Closing date: 10pm, Sunday, 9 October 2022
Interview dates: Monday, 24 and Friday, 28 October 2022. Interviews will be held in person, in 2 stages.
African Rainbow Family is looking for a dynamic Campaigns and Communications Officer, passionately committed to upholding the rights of LGBTIQ refugees and people seeking asylum at a critical time for the future of the asylum system and the rights of refugees.
We are a small but friendly and specialist team that campaigns for the rights of LGBTIQ refugees and people seeking asylum from African heritage and wider BAME. We work with an extensive network of frontline partners to advocate for progressive change in the asylum and immigration system. We are based in Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds, London and Cardiff.
- Work collaboratively with and support local campaigns and networks working on asylum and refugee issues, in keeping with the aims and values of African Rainbow Family;
- Strengthen existing networks by building campaigns capacity and expertise and broadening the engagement of additional local groups and activists;
- Support and encourage LGBTIQ people with direct experience of seeking asylum to engage in campaigns;
- Proactively identify influencing opportunities and mobilise support to capitalise on them;
- Collate local evidence and case studies in support of identified UK-level campaigns and ensure these issues inform UK policy debates;
- Support local organisations and networks to campaign on local issues where appropriate including working to influence local authorities, the UK Government, Members of Parliament, and UK Government Departments;
- Share campaigning ideas and suggestions of best practice from other regions and nations;
- Lead on the development and delivery of specific African Rainbow Family campaigns at a UK level.
- Responsible for developing and leading key aspects of African Rainbow Family’s communications strategy.
- Proactive and reactive press and PR, managing our digital infrastructure including email, social media, internal and stakeholder communications, storytelling and content creation.
- Working with all teams in the organisation,
- Responsible for building on the reach and reputation of African Rainbow Family with a focus on our key audience targets and people with lived experienced who are the foundation of African Rainbow Family.
- Take the lead on creating engaging digital content and play an important role in the development of African Rainbow Family’s social media strategy.
- Show sensitivity, kindness, be empathetic, collaborative and creative
- Able to take African Rainbow Family to the next level.
- 23 days annual leave including Bank Holidays
- Equipment to support remote working.
- Flexible working policy.
- Pension scheme.
- Development and growth opportunities.
- Free parking at our office.
- Paid staff day off on their birthday
- Paid 2 duvet days a year
- Salary review
- Employee reward scheme
- Employee wellbeing support
- Paid Sick leave after 6 months
- Job description and person specifications
- Application and equal opportunity forms
- Safer Recruitment Policy
HOW TO APPLY: Download the job description and person specification from here, application form here and our Safer Recruitment Policy here. Email your completed application form and optional monitoring form to firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information on this role or for an informal discussion please contact Aderonke Apata, Founder and CEO: 07939239643. If you know of someone who might be interested in this vacancy, please ask them to get in touch.
We welcome applications from people of all abilities/disabilities and backgrounds as we believe that each person brings their own valuable experiences to what we do.
We encourage people with lived experience of the UK asylum system to apply. Job application support is available for the Expert by Experience (refugees and migrants) applying for this role.
We are proud to be a member of the Experts by Experience Employment Network, which aims to create a charitable sector that is led by people with lived experience of the asylum and immigration system. As part of this network, we challenge the one-size-fits-all approach in our employment practices, and respect personal circumstances and needs of people with lived experience. We believe that every individual should have the right support when applying for our roles.
This network could provide independent and confidential support for applicants with lived experience of the UK asylum and immigration system, depending on availability of mentors from the sector. Please directly share your draft application through this form to get some feedback and support for your application, or get in touch with the network via email@example.com. More information is available at https://www.ebeemployment.org.uk/ebe
The successful candidate must have the right to work in the UK, will be required to undergo an enhanced DBS check and to disclose all non-protected criminal records at the point of conditional job offer.